Your opinion on Pixel Tennis future art style

Announcements and updates regarding Pixel Tennis' development
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Your opinion on Pixel Tennis future art style

Post by WongKit »

Hi there,

as you might have seen in the support topic, I was (or am, somehow) looking for an artist who can take care of 3D modeling and animation. I received a few offers, but also realized, that this topic can quickly become too big to be handled by a volunteer. Depending on the amount of detail of a character, someone needs to spend several hours in order to create and animate a single body part. When you then consider that the game should also get equippable/wearable items, you can see the amount of required work to multiply.

So what can be done? The best option I have in mind is to set Pixel Tennis to a “pixelated” art style that would greatly reduce the effort to create 3D content and also would accidentally fit the games name. This art style is a bit difficult to describe. So before you get the wrong impression by my attempt to explain it, see the following links:

https://picroma.com/cubeworld
https://www.deviantart.com/modrain/art/ ... -520092932
https://giphy.com/gifs/voxel-jsJiMvqSne2Ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw63hVAy6Iw

There are tools / voxel editors out there where you can easily design 3D objects which can be imported into Unity. Creating a voxel model is nearly as easy as building blocks in Minecraft, so this would also give Pixel Tennis the opportunity to accept user generated content in the future.

I personally like its visual appearance, but I am also aware, that it looks kinda special and not everyone will prefer it.

So please give me your feedback on the idea to build Pixel Tennis around this blocky art style. I am heavily relying on your opinion as it will decide a big aspect of the games future.
Somehow related to an online tennis game.
KarlaGrey

Re: Your opinion on Pixel Tennis future art style

Post by KarlaGrey »

While I would prefer an art style similar to the original, I think having pixelated characters will work just fine once one gets used to them - with a view to, perhaps one day, swapping them for designs more similar to the original. Like you mentioned, having ft-inspired art would require employing a part time, or even a full-time gfx designer to handle all the animations and, in particular, new skill designs on a regular basis. Until pixel tennis is released and can gather enough financial support for such decisions, it's better to go the safe route.
BoneD
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by BoneD »

I would prefer a similar style like fantasy tennis 2 too.
But it would be good for the release date, when we take an easier solution for the design. So for an alpha and beta version is the pixel design a good alternative :)
MrJivoirien

Post by MrJivoirien »

i'm sure it could be really nice, i like it.
Ninho92

Post by Ninho92 »

For me it doesnt matter how the art style is. You will always find ppl who will like and not like it.
I can get used to the badest one but only if the gameplay is nice.
Sabuto

Post by Sabuto »

im not the biggest fan of the pixel style but it wont keep me from playing the game,considering how much work it takes away its worth 100% and as KarlaGrey said maybe some day after release there will be the option to do a "smoother" style
Crados

Post by Crados »

I dont like pixel style, but if theres no way around, why not, hoping for a great gameplay experience <3
Sui

Post by Sui »

Gameplay always comes first imo for tennis.
If it's better to go with the pixel art, why not.

If this booms it could be a topic to maybe try to change it into old fantasy tennis art style, as a graphics update.
Fallermagie

Post by Fallermagie »

Can't say much, everybody sums my opinion : pixel(maybe) before then artistic after or primarly artistic. :D

Would be interesting to see an artistic original style like FT. But yeah, it's too complicated for one person.
Like Delight Tennis but greater(or visualy upgraded, not to photo-realistic). We can try some drafts ideas...
Wait n' See... ;)
jrfantasy

Post by jrfantasy »

pixels not good 3d has to be
Osty

Post by Osty »

Ofc 3d better, but it's much harder to do I guess, so for me pixels is enough. Game mechanics more important I think, and you do it perfect. Only 2 things I want to see, damaged court, after smash animation, smash animation.
Lmao123

Post by Lmao123 »

I don't think it would feel the same,,, i understand that it's hard to make & animate 3d models but if you use pixel models, it will never replace fantasy tennis. (It's my opinion, i'm NOT trying to be rude) I would play it but would feel sad about it.
Btw you're doing a great job with ball animations, they look very clean and nice! I'm looking for more updates. Keep up the great job (:
Milov

Post by Milov »

For the past weeks I've worked and learned more about pixel art (harder than I thought based on normaly shaped characters) and animation. I still got much to learn but count me in the near future for 3D/visual stuff.
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Hey Milov, that's great news!
loemoemba1

Post by loemoemba1 »

I really dont like the minecraft kinda style.. is there no other way?
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

loemoemba1 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:11 pm I really dont like the minecraft kinda style.. is there no other way?
The project is missing a 3D artist and animator. Without a volunteer, the visuals need to be capped at a lower level, so there is (currently) no other viable way.
loemoemba1

Post by loemoemba1 »

I can understand.

Hope to make a bigger community so there will be a 3d artist..
1 thing tho..

I guess you will make a revenue model so you can make some money (nothing weird). The only thing is that maybe there will be something like a itemshop with clothing etc.. the point is that clothing on a minecraft kinda character is not that fancy to see. so people wont buy so many things as they would with a real 3d model.
loemoemba1

Post by loemoemba1 »

I was searching on internet and came across www.mixamo.com

You can download and use these 3d models. Cant we do something with that?
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

I checked Mixamo before, but did not found any fitting character model. When using a premade asset, it is also harder to customize it when it comes to interchangeable equipment.
The auto animator looks nice, but can become quite weird when working with models that were not originally part of this site. It also does not feature any kind of tennis (-similar) movements except running.

VRoid Studio also looked promising, but importing the models into Unity and animating it is also kinda fiddly.
loemoemba1

Post by loemoemba1 »

Though the style of VRoid would really fit the game well!