[devblog] Pixel Tennis - Gameplay basics (video)

Announcements and updates regarding Pixel Tennis' development
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

[devblog] Pixel Tennis - Gameplay basics (video)

Post by WongKit »

This video demonstrates some gameplay basics that are "already" working.
I know, that it is visually not that impressive, but I still focus on gameplay and backend stuff.

Serve, Slice, Lob and Smashes are technically implemented and also working in network mode. There is also a score system which I hid in the video as it is ugly as hell.

Best regards
WongKit
Somehow related to an online tennis game.
Tsukoyomi

Gameplaybasics - review

Post by Tsukoyomi »

I watched your Video which showcases the current state of basics gameplay and here are my thoughts on it.
  • Serve - pretty much perfect, dont see anything i would try to "fix"
  • Slice - seems a little long IMO ? i mean idk if you want to basicly copy FT or if you just want to make it kind of similar
  • Lob & Smash - perfect. i love the fact that the screen kinda "vibrates" a little
  • sloppy Shots - i even forgot about that feature of ft, you nailed it, well done
  • Spin - dont know what kind of phsysics those are but matches the WIL of the old FT 100%
The overall speed of the ball will, i guess, increase with more STR or whatever system you have in mind for that kind of stuff - jeez, there are acutally so many different things we have to keep in mind. The only things that ft had and were not shown in the video would be charging the hit and a longslice i guess ? other than that, it should pretty much cover it all up for basic mode. Well done WongKit!
Last edited by WongKit on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to "[devblog] Pixel Tennis - Gameplay basics (video)"
EpsiIon

Re: Gameplaybasics - review

Post by EpsiIon »

Tsukoyomi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:56 pm I watched your Video which showcases the current state of basics gameplay and here are my thoughts on it.
  • Serve - pretty much perfect, dont see anything i would try to "fix"
  • Slice - seems a little long IMO ? i mean idk if you want to basicly copy FT or if you just want to make it kind of similar
  • Lob & Smash - perfect. i love the fact that the screen kinda "vibrates" a little
  • sloppy Shots - i even forgot about that feature of ft, you nailed it, well done
  • Spin - dont know what kind of phsysics those are but matches the WIL of the old FT 100%
The overall speed of the ball will, i guess, increase with more STR or whatever system you have in mind for that kind of stuff - jeez, there are acutally so many different things we have to keep in mind. The only things that ft had and were not shown in the video would be charging the hit and a longslice i guess ? other than that, it should pretty much cover it all up for basic mode. Well done WongKit!
pretty much agreeing on everything tsu already worte :!: :roll: keep up the good work wong :D!
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Thanks for your feedback :)

Just wanted to leave some notes before I need to go to work:
  • Slice - Do you mean the speed, the ball trail or the distance where it hits the court first?
  • Lob & Smash - Thanks!
  • Charge - There is actually charging implemented. It currently has no charging animation.
    Look at the ball trail color to see it (yellow = no or less charge, green = medium charge, orange = muchos chargos)
  • Ball speeds - Yes, this is definetly something that needs fine tuning.
  • Long slice - Yes, this one is not implemented (yet), as well as short slices
YuriSama1337

Post by YuriSama1337 »

Respect, pretty awesome Gameplay Video, its very close to the Original the Mechanics.

Beim Smasharea solltest du ein Spielraum hinzufügen was dir erlaubt minimale Abweichungen zu verzeihen, sprich dass man nicht unbedingt punkt genau im Circle stehen muss, weil die Range von dem Tennisschläger dir ein Spielraum ermöglichen sollte, war in Fantasy Tennis auch so im übrigen.

Und die Knockback Duration ist etwas zu lange glaube ich, kann aber auch sein dass ich mich komplett irre.
Mit Lvl 1 könnte es gut möglich sein so lange gestunnt zu sein bzw dass man Bewegungsunfähig ist. Darüber hinaus würde ich die Slice Animation komplett ändern, n Slice darf nicht so weit fliegen.

Hier ein Beispiel Bild https://gyazo.com/114482c6047f9da8ba2b1a1b25edae63
So stelle ich mir grob den Verlauf vor, wie der Ball droppt, und im nächsten Circle immer langsamer wird und weiter droppt, bis der Ball am ende rollt, bei Phase 2 sollte man schon zum Schlag ansetzen, wenn man den Punkt nicht abgeben will.

Es ist ein grobes Beispiel, Phase 1 kann auch näher am Netz sein.

Weiterhin viel erfolg. Wirkt sehr vielversprechend.
Flairen

Re: [devblog] Pixel Tennis - Gameplay basics (video)

Post by Flairen »

Good job Wong!

The shots look really amazing so far!
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Oh, now I get it regarding the slice length. Those are meant to be Strokes, not Slices. I mixed up those shots (me = tennis pro...).

The smash area is actually bigger than the circle on the ground. However, they are not as big as in FT with Lucy. Hitboxes, speeds and durations are very likely to change as they are only "just working" right now.

Thanks all for your comments!
KarlaGrey

Post by KarlaGrey »

What about the sloppy charged shots? It's the move players would make by intentionally charging, from the back or middle of the court, a shot that would result in a very fast lob. If you failed the positioning, it'd result in tumbling over, however.
Last edited by KarlaGrey on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

See minute 2:00. The mechanic is there, but charge is currently too weak to make the shot that fast. It felt more than a bug than a feature back then.
KarlaGrey

Post by KarlaGrey »

My bad, you're right. I missed it because it was so much slower than those I remember. Speaking of which, you wanna do away with such and similar bug shots, or make them a standard mechanic instead?
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

I currently have no plan about those shots. They were hard to abuse and looked quite funny sometimes, so I guess I will not explicitly kill them.
Thewimo

Post by Thewimo »

So as for my feedback:
I think the same as the people above. Since short and long slices are still going to be implemented, there is nothing i can really complain about since ball speed and ball curve are decided by STR and WIL while knockback duration from Smashes are decided by STA.
Yeah since you already mentioned it, these are normal strokes and not slices :lol:
Also if you don't mind, i took the liberty and posted about this video on the Facebook Group, here are the comments for now:

- " This looks perfect! It's amazing! Keep up the good work! 😲😲😲😲
- "Mechanics are pretty similar to Ft nice one, Smash knockback is a bit too long, i would reduce the duration, but it depends on ur STA how hard u get knockback LOL. Nice."
- " Fantastic. 😍"
- "Thats cool even the dive is back somehow. I would appreciate the old slice + long slice but im still ok with this 😚😚😍😍" by DatSky
- "can t waiiiiit"

Since i linked the youtube video to the post, you should be able to see currently 8 comments to it (incl. mine).

PS: I saw "Game Studio"'s one month old video and he is currently trying to achieve the same results. Since you guys have one common goal, maybe merging yourself is a good idea? :) Saw you commenting on his/her video so yeah...
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Thanks for posting the video on the facebook group! Would you mind sharing the link of the group?
Thewimo

Post by Thewimo »

WongKit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 pm Thanks for posting the video on the facebook group! Would you mind sharing the link of the group?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/newfantatennis/
Osty

Post by Osty »

Looks pretty cool man! I hope you will release this game.