Searching someone for 3D modeling and animation

All your questions belong here
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Searching someone for 3D modeling and animation

Post by WongKit »

Hi,

on this way, I am searching for someone (or a team) who can do some 3D modeling and character design. Do you have experience with Blender or Unity's animation system? Then let me know!

//Update 25.06.2018: I received some initial offers regarding this request, so I will lock this topic for now.
Somehow related to an online tennis game.
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Re: Searching someone for 3D modeling and animation

Post by WongKit »

Hi there,

In the last months, I was in contact with 3 different people who offered their help for 3D modeling and animation. Unfortunately, all of them either stopped replying or simply made false promises.

So this is why I am reopening this request again. In the first place, I am looking for a volunteer who wants to create a basic human character as a voxel model. Its height should be around 25 to 30 "blocks". Other than that, there are no fixed specifications.

Creating a voxel model can be done with MagicaVoxel for example. Using this tool requires some practice, but it is very intuitive and easy to learn. There are also plenty of YouTube Tutorials out there, too.

You can visit viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54 for a visual clue on how the art style looks ike.

If you are interested, respond here or send me a private message. I never thought that I need to mention this, but please only apply, if you really want to support this project.
Fallermagie

Post by Fallermagie »

Hi Wongkit.

I'm interested to make both styles (3D and Voxel) to be honest but my level is crap... :(
But i also want to help and support this project to succeed !
Here's my attempt (made on Blender) :
https://imgur.com/a/STZavvO
Wait n' See... ;)
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Fallermagie wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:52 pm I'm interested to make both styles (3D and Voxel) to be honest but my level is crap...
o.o Your render image looks great! If you already worked with Blender, you will have more than enough knowledge to build a voxel character model.

So if you want to try yourself on it, go ahead :)
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Although Fallermagie volunteers for 3D modeling and animation, it does not mean, that this position is occupied. If you are comfortable with 3D design, you can still apply or post examples here.
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

I'm kinda bored and decided to give it a shot.
What do ya think?
https://imgur.com/cEvMRJ5
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Hi Zetsu,

it looks quite nice :D
Can you check if you could also build a somewhat similar hair style like this: https://images.sftcdn.net/images/t_app- ... enshot.jpg?
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Thank you for the preview! I think no nose and less lipgloss would look better :D

Voxel-Character-Modified.png
Voxel-Character-Modified.png (6.62 KiB) Viewed 37440 times

Can you make the outer hair look less exploded? Sorry, I do not really know how to describe it better ^^".
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Then have one at the verge of exploding.
https://imgur.com/VlEFhZ9
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

We are getting close!
Can you do like "shortly after the verge of explosion" with also some more hair on the sides like in your previous example?
I wonder how someone would react if I am describing this sitting at a hairdresser...

I am very thankful for your effort so far! We finally can push the topic 3D modeling a further. Btw, do you also have animation knowledge?
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

A nervous someone would surely call the cops on you.
Wanting to blow stuff up isn't really trendy these days.

Considering that there are "no fixed specifications" you're certainly a picky one.
https://imgur.com/2ctEhAt
https://gofile.io/?c=kj5FJb

I know my way around rigging and animating stuff.
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Considering that there are "no fixed specifications" you're certainly a picky one.
Especially because there is no fixed specification, it is important to try out different looks.

Thank you very much for your patience and the voxel file!
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Well, depending on the camera position and distance to the player I'm not really sure if it's worth your time to worry about small details. With a common character shape it should be easy to cycle through different hairstyles though.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Hi WongKit,
I've come across your Project and I too at some point was thinking of making a game that builds on the fundamentals of Fantasy Tennis. You've stayed very true to the original, which is great. Also, a Voxel Style might not be bad, if for example we look at how good it can look in Hytale for example.

Personally I've never worked with Voxels, but I've got 10 years experience more or less with 3D Modeling. Mainly I've been working on my own projects on IMVU and SecondLife. I have experience with making and using animation Rigs in 3dsMax and went to school for 3D Modeling, so I know all the basics.

I've not ever created a full game character myself though, but I would LOVE to dedicate my free time to this, as I've been aching for a new hobby and well.. something to do in life. I've felt pretty without purpose as of late. This would really be a passion project for me as well. So, if you will give the go I would start working on a character design. Not Voxel, but stylized. To show you once it's done.
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Hi Fenrir,

actually, your experience and passion for a project like Pixel Tennis sounds too good to be true!
I would really like to work with you and according to your writing, you already seem to have an idea on how a character could look like.

Please go ahead. I am curious to see what you have in mind!
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Heya Fenrir,

are you still there? I can't write to you anymore on discord as we don't have matching servers anymore. I also got no response to the friend request and Pixel Tennis' private message system.
Milov

Post by Milov »

Back on business!
I've been working around achieving some of my goals by the time I was inactive. So far, I can guarantee we can develop our first 3D character prototype, but before that we must pin some strict rules that might be handy for others in the future, aswell as for me.
As far as I know, the character must be a voxel-like shape(low polygons count).
What kind of texture format and size you would like to work?
Are we allowed to use artifacts, like floating textures, particles?
I was thinking about animating a flat object face, example the face of a character by dividing zones: eyebrows, eyes, nose, mouth and chin, by simply creating a texture mask for each one, that applies on certain condition if an argument is executed (blink, shout, surprised). The same method might be applied by conditions on objects too, aswell as of characte customizables.
When I was talking about floating textures I was thinking as an example on hairstyles, hmm... a tail. As the game won't be static at all, we lock the head of the texture to a point on the character and create frames for every direction and movement velocity a player can achieve in order to look dynamic. By that, we can avoid using motion engines and many more.
Hytale was a good reference. I'll be up for more details via PM or contact me on Discord.
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Sorry for replying so late, but the board did not notify me of your message. (I will blame the administrator later for that...)
As you noticed, there are no real guidelines for the games character models. The voxel style is also only a tradeoff suggestion to make modeling more accessible. I am very ok with using textures for facial animation.

However, please note, that I got someone working on a character model. It is too early for relief, but I will not request or define another 3D model task during this persons work on the project. Milov, thank you very much for offering your help. I might come back to you at some time.
Last edited by WongKit on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Striked out "However..."