Net direction problem

How do you like this project? Is there anything that can be done better?
Sui

Net direction problem

Post by Sui »

When you're at the net on the right side for example and you aim your shot to the right, it goes out of the arena.
In FT it never occured because there was some sort of "protection" from the ball to go outside, only if you slip up or couldn't catch the ball in time.

Would be awesome if you could fix that, it's weird that it gets out even though you just play front/back and aim it.
Hope you understood what I meant :D

Also the short lob is still unconfirmed in your thread, might wanna check it if you get time.
It's fun to play still! :)
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Re: Net direction problem

Post by WongKit »

Hi Suijake,

yes, I understood ^^. The game should not let you hit the ball out if you are standing in a good position to the ball. However, I noticed too, that it is "easier" to hit the ball outside of the court than in FT.

Maybe it can be improved by tweaking the distance for detecting sloppy shots. Both, the sloppy shot and the dive disables the auto correctiion completely. It is also possible, that this also behaved differently than I remembered.

Thanks for your feedback!
Somehow related to an online tennis game.
Zoe

Post by Zoe »

I actually don't mind the way it works right now, it's a fresh take from FT and it helps getting points from drawn out matches. It was off-putting at first but after getting used to it, it can be used to actually make enemies do some "sloppy" shots. In FT they were considered sloppy only after being a certain distance away in order to "roll", but here it's already sloppy if you slide, at least if you aim the ball towards the outside of the court. The trick is to always aim inside the court in case you aren't perfectly positioned. It works like a charm and whenever I actually get a sloppy shot outside the court I know that I did something wrong (didn't aim my shot inside the court).

Sure it limits your options, but if you were positioned correctly it wouldn't. So i don't see any problem with it.

It's not easy to get a point if the enemy doesn't make any mistake. So this adding a way to get points seems like a good thing.
Sui

Post by Sui »

It's just to a certain extent, it shouldn't automatically correct your mistake and auto aim
But whenever I thought ok i still got it, it went outside which was really weird :D

It's like I'm at the net let's say on the right side of the map
Opponent's shot is a little bit to the left (when you press forward+direction, so not 100% to the side)
It's in my reach at the net (i don't trip or sth. just normally shoot the ball back), I shoot it back and press right (down+right for the short net play for example), so it's at the max edge of the map again and not where my opponent shot it to begin with
And then the ball goes outside and it felt like i did a sloppy shot

That shouldn't happen imo, the rest is fine it's a bit "easier" to roll etc. but I think reason for that is also the missing animations, etc. - you don't "know" where your hand is, you get used to it in FT - like where your max reach is and so on