[devblog] Regular test runs, multi language support and credits

Announcements and updates regarding Pixel Tennis' development
Cristian

Re: [devblog] Regular test runs, multi language support and credits

Post by Cristian »

Yeah, I got the exp/stats part. What I meant it's we'll eventually get to those stats with items. Non-important though.

Honestly, the biggest focus you should have right now more than anything is at least 1 character model/hit animations because I think that's the biggest issue for not attracting new players. I've made a post in the latino facebook group, but none of them seemed to join even though they were really eager to play "FT". Although I'm sure once we release an official version + some advertisement there will be at least 100 players with more to come so no worries about that.
Rewards for beta testers are not a priority right now, we'll think of that once we are close to the release. I'm sure there it will be easier to think of one then.

Good change for 3rd set. It should alternate serves and if you want it more realistic and fancy you can make it an actual tiebreaker with first to X (7?) points and at least 2 point difference for the win.
The first player to reach seven points wins the tie-break and the set. But if the score reaches six-points-all, the winner is the first player to win two points in a row. The player whose turn it was to serve in the set serves the first point of the tie-break.
Zoe

Post by Zoe »

So, last test run we were only 4 players pretty much the whole time, the matches were nice and rather even, so that was fine, but in the end someone had to leave and nobody else came, so we couldn't play 2v2 for the last 1:30h or something.

Was pretty sad of course, but the fault doesn't lie within the game. I believe it is already very fleshed out as i noted before. The only missing thing is long-time motivational stuff for people who care about those things more than actual gameplay/fun, like for example some stuff to buy, titles to farm, achievements, other game-modes and whatnot, and well models.

Another thing I might add is that the single-player itself was rather boring (might be cause of me having high stats too), but the times actually made it very interesting, i was competing with some players especially on S1 to get the lowest time possible which was really fun. We always discovered some new ways to cut time a bit more, and from playtest to playtest the top spot changed. So some kind of challenge mode with times to beat others to in whatever form might be really cool to have, and are a nice alternative to the "pvp" of the game down the line.

Some people don't mind not having models nor any long time stuff to farm, yet the activity is still so low which imo is because there is no real advertising going on. I get that you wanna have it "more ready" before actually advertising it, which is alright but I'm not that surprised at the low player count right now. You might wanna think about advertising it more, since nowadays there are thousands of "early access" or "alpha state" games flooding the market which are not even nearly as good as this game is. And I believe this game does have the potential to be bigger. Even in the state it is right now.

Another problem with the very small playerbase we got right now are different skill levels. Nobody likes losing, so that might be another issue for the dwindling numbers. Having a bigger playerbase would make it easier for people to find each other in a fair and exciting match instead of a beatdown, which is not enjoyable for either player.

I know the next goal is to get models/animations in the game, and I don't know the current progress on that, but surely it will take a while before we get that. I just hope you don't lose motivation because of this, as I really really enjoy the game.
Crados

Post by Crados »

Zoe wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:27 pm So, last test run we were only 4 players pretty much the whole time, the matches were nice and rather even, so that was fine, but in the end someone had to leave and nobody else came, so we couldn't play 2v2 for the last 1:30h or something. [...]
Agree 100%. Also there are probably people (like me), that are following the dev process. I am personally waiting for the models etc. before I give the game a try, I watch the videos and I 100% enjoy them. The game turned out great, and I can't wait to play it myself.
Last edited by WongKit on Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shortened full quote
Crados

Post by Crados »

Just played some games, it's fun af.. <3
WongKit
Pixel Tennis Developer

Post by WongKit »

Thanks for your feedback. 3D models are still a huge shortcoming, but I can't tell, when this can be resolved. I am glad you had fun anyway :)
Somehow related to an online tennis game.